This phytonutrient loaded recipe is my favorite way to prepare brussels sprouts. Even my husband, who doesn’t love brussels, really enjoys these. The combination of the savory garlic and the bittersweet molasses complements the brussels perfectly. It’s also much quicker than roasting in the oven, getting them to your table faster.
1 pound brussels sprouts
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
- Trim and cut the brussels spouts in half.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large, heated sauté pan at medium heat until the butter is completely melted.
- Place brussels sprouts cut side down in the pan without turning them for about 5 min, until they have a golden and seared appearance on the cut side.
- Turn all the brussels sprouts over, leaving a clearing in the center of the pan. Add a small amount of oil before putting the crushed garlic in, cooking it for about 30 seconds.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with the garlic.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and then the molasses, stirring to coat.
- Lower the heat and continue to cook a few more minutes until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove brussels sprouts from the pan onto a serving dish and enjoy.